REARegistered Energy Auditor
European Union Energy Efficiency Directive
In order for the EU to meet its binding energy efficiency and emissions targets, measures have been identfied that are required to be introduced by member states. The measures cover activities in the public sector, utilities, buildings and transport, financing of energy projects, and energy use in large enterprises.
Large Enterprises must carry out an energy audit of their operations every four years. The first such audit must be completed by 5th December 2015.
The directive has been transposed into Irish Law as Statutory Instrument (SI) 426 of 2014. Part 3 of this legislation covers Energy Audits.
Registered Energy Auditor
To comply with the requirements of the Auditing element of the EU Energy Directive, Sustanable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) have created a list of Registered Energy Auditors. These energy auditors must meet strict criteria as set out below:
- The applicant must have been awarded an appropriate related technical qualification, minimum Level 7 Ordinary Bachelor Degree as defined by the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) in a relevant discipline such as Engineering, Architecture or Building Services; AND
- The applicant must have completed a minimum 7 years relevant professional work experience since achieving the above primary 3rd level degree; AND
- The applicant must have been awarded a minimum of one of the following titles or have the registration: SEAI acknowledges the comprehensive approach which professional bodies apply to their courses, qualifications and/or competence assessment of their members. Therefore anyone listed on an established register with any one of the following qualifications/registrations below are currently deemed to have fulfilled the third registration requirement:
- Energy Institute Chartered Energy Engineer;
- Energy Institute Chartered Energy Manager;
- Association of Energy Engineers Certified Energy Manager;
- Association of Energy Engineers Certified Energy Auditor;
- Practicing Non Domestic BER Assessor Registered with SEAI;
- ESOS (UK Auditing scheme) Lead Assessor.
Our director, Ken Mc Elhinney is an SEAI Registered Energy Auditor - No. EA10054